The importance of healthy nails cannot be overlooked. No matter whether you meet the person for the first time or the tenth, you always want to make a good impression on them. And the condition of your nails is a huge contributing factor to it. Do not know where to start? No worries. In the following guide, we have gathered the most effective tips on how to take care of your nails and cuticles inside and out so that your mani always looks its best.
Vitamins For Your Healthy Nails
The key to healthy nails is to take care of them both internally and externally. And one of the surefire ways to help your nails grow healthy from the inside is to take vitamins. Biotin, or vitamin B, is a popular supplement that boosts your nails growth as well as makes them strong and healthy.
If you have noticed that your nails had become brittle and split, then it may be a telltale sign that your body lacks iron. So, it is a good idea to resupply with it. However, you want to visit your physician first for a special blood test to determine whether you really have an iron deficiency. Moreover, it is better not to take any supplements without consulting your doctor.
Other vitamins for healthy nails that you should consider:
- Magnesium is responsible for nail growth;
- Protein helps to make your nails stronger;
- Omega-3 fatty acids boost shine in your nails, moisturizing and lubricating them.
- Vitamin C is an important component in collagen production, which, in turn, is the foundation of strong, perfectly shaped nails;
- Zinc promotes healthy nail growth.
Foods And Drinks For Healthy Nails
So how to strengthen nails more? In addition to vitamins, your diet is what contributes greatly to the health of your nails. So, by simply improving it, you can make them stronger and healthier without having to leave the house. Here is the list of top foods and drinks that are good for your nails:
One handful of almonds every day can make a world of difference to the health of your nails. They contain Vitamin E and Zinc, which are very effective in improving your nails strengths as well as growths.
Without fatty acids, such as linoleic acid, our nails start to break and split. To prevent this from happening, consume a sufficient amount of foods rich in healthy fats, such as oily fish or avocado.
As eggs are high in protein, which is essential for healthy, shiny and strong nails, you should incorporate them into your diet.
Whole grains are rich in zinc. Thus, having them for breakfast is a great way to start your day.
Maintaining water balance is crucial not only for healthy nails but also for good skin and hair. So, do not forget to drink at least 2 liters of water daily.
External Nail Care
As we mentioned earlier, caring for your nails from the outside is as important for their health as from the inside. So, here is how to get healthy nails with the proper home nail care routine:
- Take a break from nail polish from time to time.
- Stock up on nail polish remover that does not contain acetone.
- Do not underrate cuticle care – hydrate your cuticles regularly and push them back gently instead of cutting off.
- Switch your outdated nail file, which damages your nails by tearing them, to a crystal or glass one.
- Opt for short nails, which not only look neat and natural but are also practical and more hygienic.
- Clean your nails, as well as under them, with a brush instead of an orange stick or nail filer. This will help you to avoid fungal or bacterial infections.
- Never forget to put on gloves when washing dishes, as hot water and dish soap may be very harmful to them.
- Once you spot any infection signs, do not hesitate to make an appointment with your physician.
- Treat your hair and nails equally. Just like you take care of your locks, moisturizing them, protecting from heat and avoiding harsh chemicals, in the same way, you should look after your nails.
- Give your nails time to grow. Just leave them alone for some time and let nature take its course.
Healthy Nails Dos And Donts
To make the most out of your nail care routine, here is what you should and should not do.
Nail Care Dos:
- Make sure your nails are clean and dry most of the time.
- Maintain healthy hygiene of your nails.
- Moisturize both nails and cuticles regularly.
- Add a nail hardener to your nail care kit and use it on your nails to strengthen them and additionally protect.
- Treat your nails with care.
- Protect the nails from temperature swings and always wear gloves when going outside in winter.
- Take supplement vitamins, namely biotin.
Nail Care Donts:
- Never ever start biting your nails, as this is one of those harmful habits that are very hard to quit.
- Do not try to rip off a hangnail because you will most likely damage live tissues as well.
- Do not abuse products for nail care that are too harsh.
- Never turn a blind eye to any nail issues.
- Do not soak your nails in water, as this makes them weak and brittle.
As you can tell, maintaining good health is vital not only to feel but also to look your best to the tips of your fingers. So, if you want to get healthy nails, you need to look after them thoroughly. A nutritious, balanced diet, sufficient level of hydration and proper nail care routine are what will help you in your nail game!
Was this article helpful?